Monday, August 13, 2007

How can UTA resolve this issue? (811 transfering to other buses at UVSC)

How can UTA resolve this issue using the 9001 processes to ensure that things like this don't happen?

I just got off an 811 and needed to catch another bus by UVSC. The bus I got off of was on 12th South by the gas station, and the bus I needed was pulling in. Traffic in front of the UVSC stop was a little more so I had to wait to cross, but when I got to the stop the driver pulled out.

He likely did not realize there was at least one, and I think I saw a couple more, needing that bus as well.

What I think happened is the 811 was actually late, by about seven minutes. But it was not and should not be considered either driver's fault as to why I missed the 2nd bus. It is simply a matter of the 811 route is one of the toughest to plan in UTAs system. I've known that since about 1990 (when parts of this existed as Route 1 to Downtown Salt Lake) when Kip Billings told me of it, many drivers since have also told me it is a tough one to keep a schedule on. Today's matter may have been the result of the detour.

I left a complaint with customer concerns, but feel that its more for the planning team to sort out under the Service Delivery processes of ISO rather than to call either driver on the carpet for.

What does UTA, or any reader of this blog, have as far as things a rider can do if he realizes that the bus he might need to connect from is going to be late enough that it will get to the stop at the same time the connecting bus he will take is going to be there? Please chime in! This will help everyone.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The problem I have with this subject is this, there is no uniformity. Some drivers leave the stop early if there are no riders at it. I've had drivers wait until the Trax shows up then they leave 5 or 6 minutes past schedule. I've had drivers see people running to the bus and just keep on driving. I've seen Trax drivers see people running and not wait for them to safely board the train. I've had drivers sit at a stop for 5 minutes just to get back on schedule, yet miss the last stop by several minutes. THere just is NO uniformity among drivers. One driver on the route 3500 to Trax in the late evenings drives about 20mph the whole way to Trax and will stop at every stop with or without riders. I mean it is such a mixed bag with drivers.